Danny Ainge Couldn't Look Better, With Book (Mostly) Closed On Kyrie Irving Trade
/ Celtics

By celtics writer

By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — The Boston Celtics were not blessed with dumb luck early Tuesday evening in the 2018 NBA draft lottery. They had a roughly 3 percent chance of landing either the No. 2 or No. 3 spot in this year’s draft, but ultimately the winner of the day was the 97 percent chance that they would not be so fortunate.

Still, the day overall was a win for Danny Ainge — and that was well before the Celtics beat the Cavaliers to take a 2-0 lead in the Eastern Conference finals.

The settling of the ping-pong balls essentially closed the book on the Kyrie Irving trade. (It also closed the book on the Celtics-Nets trade, which will go down as one of the most lopsided deals in sports history.) And with everything now squared away, we can say this with full confidence: Ainge and the Celtics overwhelmingly won this deal.

That may seem like an obvious statement now, but at the time of the trade, it was considered a reasonable risk. For one, Ainge was trading away a player who had just finished fifth in league MVP voting. Arguably more risky, Ainge traded away the hyper-valued first-round pick of the Brooklyn...



Keep reading